• The Planning and Design Wing functions under Engineering Department of Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board and is headed by Superintending Engineer (P&D). This office is engaged in investigation, project formulation, detailed engineering and estimation for providing water supply and sewerage facilities to Greater Chennai City
• Apart from these, this office is also involved in formulating water supply and sewerage projects, as deposit work, for the schemes developed by other Governmental organizations such as TNHB ,TNSCB, etc. when requested by them.
• Also, as deposit work, project formulation are prepared by this office on receiving requests from Govt. bodies like SIPCOT and Pvt. Organizations etc. for their Water Supply and Sewer infrastructure needs.
• Planning & Design Wing also involved in preparation of Assets and Utility Mapping using Geo-Spatial Technology (GIS) for CMWSSB for better management of assets and improved service delivery.
• The Chennai City has been expanded to 200 Corporation Divisions (earlier 155) with spread out area of 426 Sq. km (earlier 174 Sq.km) by including 9 Municipalities. 8 Town Panchayats and 25 Village Panchayats in and around Chennai City.
• Detailed project Reports (DPRs) are being prepared for Water Supply Schemes (WSS) and Under Ground sewerage Schemes (UGSS) for these added areas (42 local bodies) of Chennai City in phased manner.
Status of WSS and UGSS are as follows.
Water Supply Schemes: